Monday, February 16, 2009

What a Weekend!!!!

Susan and I went to Madrona this past weekend and what a weekend it was. I took great classes, we met some wonderful people, said hello to old friends, bought yarn, and knit. I didn't take any pictures, too busy knitting, talking and enjoying the weekend. Each night as I fell asleep I had pictures of new knitting projects I wanted to start, and new techniques I wanted to perfect. Whew!

On Thursday I took Vivian Hoxbro's class Colors in Knitting and what a blast it was. Vivian loves color and her love is contagious. She is such a delightful woman and makes you see color in such an amazing way. For someone like me who has a hard time visualizing different color combinations, this class was a revelation. Thank you Vivian. Susan and I had the opportunity to have breakfast with Vivian one morning and what a delight it was.

Friday morning found Susan and I in Sally Melville's class Knit to Flatter and Fit. This was the class we needed our "truth be told" paper dolls. We laughed, we listened, and learned. What was quite the surprise, however, was to discover that Susan and I both had pretty much been using the "flatter" principles already. Love Sally. Sally loves to teach and you can tell that she does. The morning went by FAST.

Saturday morning I took Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's class Knitting for Speed and Efficiency: So Many Knits So Little Time! Stephanie taught her "lever" method of knitting and I was amazed at how much faster I can knit using this technique. We did two time tests, one at the beginning of class and the other at the end of class using the new technique. I knit 16 stitches per minute at the beginning and 30 stitches per minute at the end. I'm going to work on this. I have so many things I want to knit. Of course, Stephanie was a delight and the class was fun.

Yesterday I got to spend the whole day with Sally in her class Essential Skills for the Self-Taught Knitter. Loved it. Not only is Sally an amazing teacher, she is such a delight to learn from. I learned how to pick up stitches around a neckline (WOW!) and beautiful knit buttonholes. She also showed us how to sew seams using the mattress stitch and it finally makes sense to me. Sally, thanks so much.

I started a prayer shawl and a sock while at Madrona. I think I need to frog both because it's obvious I was visiting, listening, drinking, and just having too much fun. The knitting in the sock is a mess, and the stitch pattern in the shaw is interesting.

Well, off to do laundry and to work on the lever method of knitting.

Thanks to Suzanne and Corny for putting together Madrona. You two ladies are gems.

TTFN

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment