Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy

We have a wedding coming up this weekend.  Our oldest son, Frank, is marrying a wonderful young lady named Rachel.  We are thrilled to have Rachel joining our family.  I was speaking to a lady the other day whose son had recently gotten married.  We were talking about the women they have chosen and she said "sounds like you are gaining a daughter-in-love just like I did."  I thought "daughter-in-love" instead of daughter-in-law is perfect and so appropriate for Rachel. 

We have been busy, busy, busy, getting ready for our trip to Portland this week for the wedding, and trying to get in some gardening at Edgar's Acres.  It's been so cold and wet, however, that it's been a struggle to get a move on the garden.  We did plant the potatoes however. 
This is an aged compost pile that we spread out and planted the potatoes in.  I keep reading how much potatoes love growing in compost so there they are.  We will see.  I love the experimentation of gardening, the idea of trying new ideas, and seeing what works and what doesn't. 

The asparagus are starting to show their little heads.  We haven't picked any yet.  They are hesitating on coming out of their nice warm beds and are waiting for sun and warmer weather (can't blame them). 

In the meantime I am knitting doggie blankets and such.  So far I have done 14 doggie blankets and will continue with them until it is warm enough to get outside and garden.  It is seriously just too, too cold and wet to get outside and do anything.  I also have had a @*(^*&^ time with my allergies this year.  The weather has been perfect for the proliferation of moss and man, it's driving me and my nose crazy. 


(Picture from the Seattle Times)

These pretty little spores open up and send the pollen everywhere.  This is usually a February problem, but the February weather has continued into late April.  I will admit that the green everywhere is beautiful, it looks like green velvet.  However, enough is enough. 

Meanwhile, our Operation Holiday Stockings serial knitter, Susan M. is still at it.  Here's March.



Well, I'm off to take care of the last minute details I need to get done before we head off for the nuptials.  I am hoping we have sun on Saturday for the wedding.  I am hoping everyone has sun on Saturday.  This has been a nasty winter/spring.

Hopefully it will warm enough for all of us to start wearing something besides scarves and hand knit socks.  Something like these crochet flip flops.  Again, another amazingly clever crocheter.



The pattern for these flip flops is located here.  I love those who know how to think out of the box. 

TTFN

Sue

1 comment: