Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Seeds and Needles

The past three weeks have been nuts. I've been busy gardening and knitting, working, living life, and making a poor effort of keeping in touch with my blog and others.

With the weather being crappy for the most of March, David and I have been taking advantage of whatever decent weather we are given on the weekends during late March and April. We've been going over to Edgar's Acres most weekends to get the garden cleaned up, and planted. Susan has been coming over some weekends as well to help because she wants fresh, organically grown produce. She loves to weed, so we are happy to have her join in on the gardening experience. We are going to be heading over the next two weekends as well because the Hood Canal Bridge is going to be closed for six weeks starting May 1. When we head over to Edgar's Acres, the trip will be another two hours longer.

The deck at Edgar's Acres is done and LOVERLY. We are thrilled with it and the contractor did an outstanding job.
Ready for the nice weather to begin.

In late March Susan and I went over to clean up the garden and plant onions. We've got Susan's leeks ...
Walla Walla sweet, red slicing onions, and Copra yellow storage. Louie helped.

In the raised bed we planted parsnips (with radishes on top to break the ground for the parsnips), spinach and lettuce.

The following weekend Susan came over to our Bellevue garden and we planted peas. I plant the peas and beans in Bellevue because it's easier to keep up with the picking.
We had a three hours of sun on that Sunday, enough to warm up the soil and let us plant.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for my seed potatoes to eye out enough to plant at Edgar's Acres.

The early white potatoes should be ready to plant this weekend, and maybe the reds. The russets not quite.

In the meantime, I've been knitting. I've got a bunch of baby knitting to do for friends and relatives expecting starting this month, through September.
I'm calling this the lime sherbet baby blanket. The color isn't coming out true, but it is exactly the same color as lime sherbet. The stitch is called the ribbed stockinette, and is knitting up beautifully.
I will be posting the entire pattern (when I have time?).

This is baby blanket no. 2, knit in a bulky weight yarn. Soft, Soft, Soft.
This is the third section to the big baby blanket I'm knitting.
Then there is baby blanket no. 3 in a log cabin pattern. There is a reason why I'm knitting on four blankets at once.

I was cruising along on baby blanket no. 2, when I discovered I left the other yarn at Edgar's Acres. Then I moved on to baby blanket no. 3 when I discovered the two remaining skeins were of a different dye lot. I had to think about this, and decided I will try adding more sections with the other skeins, and call it a design element.
I started baby blanket no. 1 because I couldn't work on the other two. Not sure why it's baby blanket no. 1 except the picture came up first on this posting.

The big baby blanket is more of a winter project so I'll work on it next week when we are supposed to get snow again. Probably next Tuesday on my birthday.

Finally, the sock. I have started on this sock three times and I still don't like it. It's my commuting knitting but I am bored with not liking it and trying to enjoy knitting it.

Finally, one of my additional sons, Matt, has moved in for a while. We adore Matt, and we adore his lovely girlfriend Elizabeth. The dogs adore Matt as well.
I warned Matt that he becomes a subject of my Blog by moving into the house.

Well, I have dinner to get started so I'm off to cook and knit, and enjoy the last decent evening on the deck that we will have for a while.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE!!!!!!!

TTFN

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment