Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Why we do what we do.

About a week ago I had someone ask me why we go to all of the work to send stockings over to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.  First of all, I really didn't think this person deserved an answer but I gave it to her anyway.  We do this out of love and support for our troops who are away from home over the holidays.  I know the war is old news, and there are many who totally ignore it.  As I explained to this person, this is not about politics, this is about our sons and daughters, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, and grandchildren needing a connection with home. 

This year is the first year we have had a website just for Operation Holiday Stockings, thanks to our Webmaster Joey.  Through the site, I have heard from our soldiers directly.  Let me share some of the comments I have received, and then you will know why we do what we do. 

First let me tell you thank you for the support. It's nice to know people are still there for us. This is my fourth deployment and I am wondering how do you decide who to send to. I am deployed in Iraq and I was wondering how I go about putting me and my troops on your list for some stockings. I am sure they would appreciate them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. God bless.

 I am currently serving in Afghanistan and was put to the task of Christmas decoration and logistics. We have a team of around XX Soldiers here. We are … away from the rest of our units. We would appreciate anything that you can do for us. Thanks again for everything you do to support the Soldiers.


We are currently deployed to Afghanistan. I was talking with a friend and they told me about Operation Holiday Stocking. I currently have about XX Soldiers within our company and we would love if they could each receive a stocking. Also I would like to take time out to thank you and your staff for what you do in supporting soldiers.



As hard as it may be to believe, there are many soldiers who never hear from someone at home, and the holidays are the hardest for them to be ignored. 

Everyone involved in Operation Holiday Stockings remembers these soldiers.  We are a small group made up of those making the stockings, those collecting the items for the stockings, those stuffing and packing the boxes to send to our troops, and those organizing collection drives.  We have knitting guilds, moms and grandmas, sisters and brothers, wives and husbands, dads and grandpas, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, classrooms, and service groups, all working for this project.  We have people collecting toiletries while traveling, and collecting loose change for OHS.  We have businesses who donate quantity items for this project, and cash for postage.  In other words, we have a lot of people who care and who refuse to forget our troops in harm's way. 
 
In the past few days we have received some more stockings. 
These are from Julia in Oklahoma.  I love the little snowflakes on the middle stocking.  These are so cute.
Pam in Texas knit these for us, and the colors are so bright. 


My cousin Sam and her grandaughter Katlyn in Pennsylvania again made these beautiful stockings for us.  They have been participating in this project for six years now, and have been strong supporters. 
Sessa in Washington knit these two darling stockings.  The yarn is so soft and shiny. 
Ginny in Wisconsin sent us this lovely assortment of stockings for the family parties we will be contributing to. 
Mary of Wisconsin sent in another batch of knit stockings.  I love the stocking in the middle, the colors are very pretty. 

Karen in Arizona sent these lovely stockings she knit, each one with a personalized note to the soldier.

We are up to 1257 stockings with more on their way.  I am sure we will reach our goal of 1700 this year.  None of the volunteers participating in this project want any of our troops to be without a stocking, and we've committed to 1700, so 1700 is what we will have. 

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone, and be sure to give thanks for the men and women who have taken on the task of protecting the freedoms we have.

TTFN

Sue
 

No comments:

Post a Comment