Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Pies and Stockings

The Preceptor Alpha Nu Sisters of Beta Sigma Phi International sent in their stockings. There are 24 already stuffed stockings for our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are lovely and packed with goodies.

The Alpha Nu Sisters all live in The Dalles, Oregon, which is located in the Columbia River Gorge, at the beginning of Easter Oregon.

We now have 524 stockings, but there is still room on the table for more.

Deb and Sandra at work are putting together a stuffing party on the 30th to help stuff stockings. Isn't that nice? I work with very nice people who have been supportive in everything I do, and in everything I have had to go through.

This year we are going to the Walshes again for Thanksgiving. We are all in good physical condition which is a good thing. The first year we went to the Walshes, Mom had a heart attack and we had to call in the good looking paramedics to take her to the emergency room. The second time we went, I ended up in the emergency room the next day for a ruptured ovarian cyst. Last year we went and Chiya assured us that 911 was on call. Fortunately, it was a very healthy Thanksgiving.



I'm taking pies again. I make great pumpkin pies, and I've been asked to bring them, as well as a pecan pie. I've never made a pecan pie but I guess there is a first time for everything.

My pumpkin pie recipe is a recipe my Great Aunt Vera got out of her Gourmet Cooking Cookbook, many, many years ago. Here it is:


AUNT VERA'S PUMPKIN PIE

1 cup sugar
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. cloves
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. ginger
1/4 t. mace
1/2 t. vanilla
1 can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 c. half & half

(and in my case, Marie Callendar pie crusts)


Add sugar, salt and spices to pumpkin and mix thoroughly. Beat eggs. Add cream to eggs and mix together. Add eggs and cream to pumpkin mixture, mix thoroughly. Pour filling in a pan lined with unbaked pastry. Bake 10 minutes at 450 degrees, then bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean.

This recipe is pretty generous so it fills both pie crusts in the package.

Now to make a Pecan Pie. I found a recipe in my old standby, the Joy of Cooking Cookbook that I got as a bridal shower present from Debbie. David is from Louisiana and Pecan Pie is a real tradition in that part of the U.S. David has never asked me to make a Pecan Pie, but I could tell this evening that he likes the idea of me giving it a try. We'll see what happens come Thursday morning when I start of the oven and make the pies. Do you think it might look like this? Who knows.

I may take pictures.

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment